Haman's Ear, Haman's Pocket, Haman's Hat . . .
However you describe them, it's time for those triangle cookies again.
Here are the Top Five Rules of Hamantaschen:
- You have to allow time to chill the dough so it will roll out easily: four hours in the fridge or one hour in the freezer.
- Canned fillings are okay - as long as you make your own dough, you get all the points. I'm not a big fan of bought fruit fillings, but if that's what you grew up with, then crank up that can opener.
- You have to freeze the formed cookies to prevent them leaking, spreading and slumping. Do not defrost before baking.
- More filling is not better. Especially with poppy, a great glob of filling, is just unpleasant.
- However your grandmother made them is the right way. If you don't like your friend's recipe, don't insult her Bubbe by telling her.